Wednesday 1 January 2014

Happy New Year !


Happy New Year everyone!

I am not one for looking back but 2013 has been a good year here. Like every year it has had it's low and highlights. But overall it has been a good year. 

But on to 2014! I have many plans.

We are looking to find a quiet pony for the children so that I can start to teach them to ride. I have got myself a horse to start show jumping this coming season. So I am very excited about this. Isn't it wonderful to have something to look forward to?

I have started making/using fermented foods and I hope to explore/improve this further. 

In the veg garden, we need to take down the polytunnel frame. It has been damaged in the recent storms and we don't intend to replace it.
We will build a glasshouse/potting shed instead and use cloche in our outdoor beds as much as possible. We are going to remove a few outdoor beds as I feel we have too much growing ground and it is too much work for me. I don't use it efficiently enough and I don't see the point in growing veg just to give away.
I will be more fussy about want we grow. Only grow what we eat! That means much more peas and no more broadbeans. 

We are also planning to buy a new cow shortly. Very exciting indeed! Hubby has the cow yard/shed almost finished and it should be ready in a couple of weeks.

We also need to buy a few more pullets as we do use a dozen+ eggs a day. We currently have eight hens, which just isn't enough. The neighbours dog has taken three young rooster over the Christmas. That sorted our excess rooster problem, but it also means that it is going to be a problem to free range the girls come spring. 

We have built up the bees to four strong hives. I don't plan to make further increases this year so we should be able to take a good honey crop off them in August. All going well, but with everything with bees, it will depend on the weather. 

The home brew has been going very well and I plan to make more country wines and of greater variety. I feel I have mastered this skill and I can produce a light fragrant enjoyable country wine and good beers/ales.

Hubby has plans to get laying ducks for the orchard and dig out a small pond for them. Again, I'm worried about the neighbours dog and the odd fox.

Our bog needs the drains cleared before we can cut turf for next winter. 

On a personal side, I hope to take piano lessons. I got a piano last year and I have started to play, but lessons would be a big help. I also started going to the gym last Oct in the mornings while the boys were in school and I hope to keep that up. Maybe not the five mornings as I have a horse to exercise now.

What are your plans for 2014?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive comments and feedback...