Thursday 9 January 2014

Kefir Cream Cheese


I have been making milk kefir for about six weeks now. I decided to experiment with some cheese recipes. This one is for a herb cream cheese. Yummy! 
I was surprised. Removing the whey has removed the sour kefir favour. I honestly love this recipe and it is so easy to make. Truly foolproof!


I started a batch of kefir, of about two litres. I left it for two days instead of the usual one and waited for it to separate into curds and whey. 


When it looked like this, I knew it was ready. 


I strained it first to remove the milk kefir grains. I will use those to start another batch. 


I then placed a cheesecloth over a colander and poured the kefir into it. I left it for 24 hrs.


After 24 hrs it looked like this. 


I got my seasoning ready which consisted of sea salt, garlic and thyme to taste. 


I mixed all the ingredients together until I was satisfied with the favour.


The two litres of kefir produced 0.5 litre worth of cheese and 1.5 litres of whey.
I stored the cheese and some of the whey in 0.5 litre mason jars. They will hold for a few weeks easily in the fridge. I will be using the whey for fermenting vegetables during the week.

The rest of the whey made wonderful brown bread and Yorkshire puddings.  The brown bread was served with the cheese and it didn't last the evening. A great tasting combo. The rest of the cheese will be served with salads throughout the week.












No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive comments and feedback...