Friday 31 May 2013

Rhubarb wine

While we planted rhubarb here a couple of years ago, they are not yet mature enough to harvest anything worthwhile.

However, I have offers locally of as much as I can take ;-)
So today I started two gallons of rhubarb wine and next week I plan to make 5 gallons as I love rhubarb.

I looked up several recipes online but they all require lots of sugar which doesn't suit us here. We like something drinkable as opposed to rocket fuel!
The yeast converts the sugars to alcohol. We scaled down the sugar per gallon from 1.5 kg to 500g. We hope that this produces an alcohol content around 8% as opposed to 38% ;-0

I made two gallons using the following:

2.5kg Rhubarb
200g Grapes
1kg Sugar
Yeast nutrient
White wine yeast

Wash and cut rhubarb into a large saucepan, add sugar and grapes and a few litres of water.

Bring to boil and simmer till soft.

Put through a strainer, adding more water to the rhubarb to help extract as much yummy juice as possible.


Pour juice equally into the clean and sterile demi-johns then top up with warm water and add yeast and one teaspoon of yeast nutrient each.

Add air locks and wait...could take a few months :-(
Place in a warm room to help with fermentation.

Pigs are arriving tomorrow. Exciting!!!
Dreaming of salami...

Anyone brewing something special?










No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive comments and feedback...